Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the definition of “data”?“Data” means final versions of statistical or factual information that:
- are in alphanumeric or geospatial form reflected in a list, table, graph, chart, map, or other nonnarrative format that can be digitally transmitted or processed;
- are regularly created or maintained by or on behalf of a governmental entity; and
- record a measurement, transaction or determination or provide information on government services, initiatives, and resources related to the mission of the covered governmental entity.
- “Data” does not include draft versions of statistical or factual information that are used for internal analysis by a governmental entity.
- What is the definition of “open data”?“Open data” is all “data” except where if made public the “data” would:
- violate another law or regulation that prohibits the data from being made public;
- endanger the public health, safety, or welfare;
- hinder the operation of government, including criminal and civil investigations;
- impose an undue financial, operational, or administrative burden on a State entity; or
- disclose proprietary or confidential information